Kampot was previously the most important coastal town in southern Cambodia, before being overshadowed by construction of the port of Sihanoukville in the late 1950's. Kampot is 148 km south of Phnom Penh and 105 km southeast of Sihanoukville.
Kampot is now a sleepy provincial capital of 33,000; full of colorful, crumbling French colonial buildings.
On our second day in town we took a tour up to Bokor, an abandoned French Hill Station. At 1080 meters it offered colonials a cool retreat during the hot season.
After a two-hour drive up a rugged gravel road, we first toured the long-abandoned Black Palace, a guesthouse for King Sihanouk. There is even an adjacent 'Ladies house' to lodge the royal concubines.
Next we went for a walk in the jungle. Here's Don with a carnivorous pitcher plant.
Bokor's star attraction is the Bokor Palace, formerly a hotel / casino. Now it's a beautiful, eerie, empty concrete shell.
The hill station also has a variety of other buildings including a church and some art-deco houses.
Back in town later, we relaxed at the Kampot Guest House.
Next day we headed to Phnom Penh
Return to Chris In Cambodia 2